[Nagiosplug-devel] 1.4.0-alpha3 check_dhcp build failure on HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 17 16:58:01 CET 2004

Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 02:53:46PM -0600, C. Bensend wrote:
>
>>Hey folks,

[ ... ]

>>check_dhcp.c:140: parse error before `}'
>>check_dhcp.c:140: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
>>check_dhcp.c:146: parse error before `u_int32_t'
>

> check_dhcp is an important plugin __but__
>
> 1 even if you did get it to compile on HP-UX, it would _not_ work on
> that platform since the code to get the MAC address is very system
> dependent, and I simply don't know how to do so on HP-UX (AIX is the
> same).
>
> The check would fail with an 'unsupported arch' at runtime if it
> compiled.
>
> The only platforms I _think_ should work are
>
> . Linux
>
> . Solaris 9
>
> . FreeBSD
>
> 2 the cross platform issues are also exaggerated by Sun and HP
> apparently using different names for integer vars of fixed length (8,
> 16, 32 etc in unsigned and signed).
>
> Have a look at the dreadfull things the code does to make Sol compile.
>
> If you can find what names it uses for these ints (/sys/*int.h ?), that
> would be helpful. Send to me.
>
> What another (strange Perl) check_dhcp plugin does is lie about the MAC
> address; it doesn't check the lease of _this_ host but that the DHCP
> server can provide a lease back to the requester.
>
> Would this be a better approach for the less common archs (AIX, HP-UX,
> [OS-X should be *BSD so may be Ok] ?
>
> 3 Any chance of brief shell/ssh access on an HP-UX ?

Go to http://www.hp.com/dspp
Click "Register for DSPP membership" in the "I want to" section of links
in the middle of the page. You can get shell (telnet, for some reason)
and ftp access to several different versions and flavours of *BSD,
HP-UX, OpenVMS, Linux and whatnot, running on a multitude of different
architectures. If you have special build requirements you can request
installation of certain software (which is usually denied, but still...).

I've got accounts for all of their compile-farm machines. If, for some
reason, your registration isn't approved, I might be able to take a look
at it for you (although they're usually under some pretty heavy load so
it's not very fast going).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer