[Nagiosplug-devel] check_swap mis-reporting values

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Thu Feb 19 18:14:25 CET 2004

On 20 Feb, 2004, at 01:39, Matt Pounsett wrote:

> Well, only the 1.3.1 is truly failing.  The help output for 1.4.0
> suggests the
> -a switch will give irregularities on solaris... which obvious it is
> doing on
> this box.
>
> Here's my swap -l and swap -s output:
>
> % /usr/sbin/swap -l
> swapfile             dev  swaplo blocks   free
> /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1   32,1      16 164656    176
> % /usr/sbin/swap -s
> total: 1370584k bytes allocated + 35208k reserved = 1405792k used,
> 1995392k available

I think I understand. It looks like your system has a large amount of
real memory, but a small amount of swap allocated. swap -l returns 100%
used (and hence check_swap [-a]) because all the swap disk is filled.
However /tmp, which uses a combination of real memory and swap, is
returning lots of space, so your system is not really having any
problems.

Weird how Solaris decides to use swap space before real memory, but
maybe there is some setting to say fill up swap first.