[Nagiosplug-devel] Rewrite of check_log

Flo Gleixner flo at bier.homeip.net
Wed Feb 25 17:42:04 CET 2004

Hi,

I did a half-rewrite of the check_log script. Features:
- some OS detection. Works for Linux and Solaris for now.
- No more diff. It calculates the difference with the difference of the
  filesizes and only greps the added lines. This implies:
- greatly increased performance for large log files.
- support for logrotate - but beware, if the logfile is truncated, you may
  miss some lines
- multiple check_logs on one file still possible
- support for enhanced regular expressions as grep -e or egrep -e does.
  (untested for now)
- default statefile (equals to oldfile) in /tmp. Possible since there is
  no valuable information in there.

Now you can scan your logrotating gigabyte apache logs!

No more possible:
using check_log to monitor config files. I vote for a rename of the old
check_log to check_filediff

Flo