[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Rewrite of check_log

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Feb 25 18:42:01 CET 2004

Flo Gleixner writes:

> I did a half-rewrite of the check_log script.

Good.  Both check_log and check_log2 are seriously flawed (in my
opinion).  They do NOT scale well for large logs.  My PHB writes
stuff that deals with logs and scales badly too, and I beat him over the
head when it all falls apart and one of our boxes goes into terminal
CPU overload because of his crude approach to dealing with log events.

> - No more diff. It calculates the difference with the difference of the
>   filesizes and only greps the added lines. This implies:
> - greatly increased performance for large log files.

Good.  So what happens when logrotate kicks in?  I think a check_log
replacement has to retain state: how far it got into the logfile and
the inode of the logfile (so it can know if the file has been rotated).
I haven't examined the problem very deeply because right now I don't
have a need to use check_log.  But those are the two biggest problems
that occurred to me when I looked at check_log and check_log2 (sorry,
Ethan, those two just don't come even close to being sensible if I wanted
to monitor any of our logs - typical maillog size is 40M/day and a "scan
right the way through to get the latest entry" approach just doesn't
cut it.)

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support