[Nagiosplug-devel] Improved check_oracle (TS check with autoextend)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 24 02:06:26 CET 2004

Poitschke Kai wrote:
> Hello,

--[ snip snip ]--
> The script reports the max possible size including the autoextend. The percentage is still calculated
> from the current total allocation. So the output looks like this:
>
> ./check_oracle --tablespace scott tiger MYDB MYTS 99 98
> MYDB : MYTS OK - 98% used [ 136 / 8192 MB available [max. 12288 MB] ]
>
> This means, 136MB of the allocated 8192MB are free (--> 98%used), but because it can autoextend to 12288MB you won't get a notification.

Short note; For readability, it would help if percent mentioned is same
as MB count (i.e. 136 of 8192 == 2%).

> The second change is a minor change. I set the status code to UNKNOWN if the tablespace could not be examined. I personally don't want to get CRITICAL notifications when I check a tablespace and get an Oracle error, because of a broken network connection or a database that is in shutdown/startup state etc.

Bad Thing.
There's been a discussion on this on the nagios-users list. UNKNOWN
should only be reported when there is a user error (too few arguments,
etc. etc.). If it fails to fetch information from the network, that is
considered to be a critical error.
You can configure your way around this if you like, but for the good of
the community it would be nice if everybody follow the standards set.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se