[Nagiosplug-devel] Improved check_oracle (TS check with autoextend)

Poitschke Kai kai.poitschke at axense.com
Wed Mar 24 01:42:13 CET 2004

Hello,
first of all I have to say that I'm new to the list. So please be patient ;-)

I have improved the tablespace check in the check_oracle plugin.
The check honors now the capability of Oracles autoextend feature. With this improvement, you will not
get a WARNING/CRITICAL notification when Oracle is able to extend a database file itself. You will get only  a notfication when the autoextend reaches its maximum and then the tablespace reaches then its WARNING/CRITICAL limits.
The script reports the max possible size including the autoextend. The percentage is still calculated
from the current total allocation. So the output looks like this:

./check_oracle --tablespace scott tiger MYDB MYTS 99 98
MYDB : MYTS OK - 98% used [ 136 / 8192 MB available [max. 12288 MB] ]

This means, 136MB of the allocated 8192MB are free (--> 98%used), but because it can autoextend to 12288MB you won't get a notification.

The second change is a minor change. I set the status code to UNKNOWN if the tablespace could not be examined. I personally don't want to get CRITICAL notifications when I check a tablespace and get an Oracle error, because of a broken network connection or a database that is in shutdown/startup state etc.

Is there a general interest to get this plugin into the main tree? If so, to whom should I send it?
Who is the original maintainer of the plugin and is he still active?

Regards
Kai Poitschke (http://www.poitschke.de/libsqlora8/)

--
Phone:  +49(0)221/6605049