[Nagiosplug-devel] Improved check_oracle (TS check with autoextend)

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Mar 24 04:50:06 CET 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:19:37 +0100
joerg.helmert at aracomp.de wrote:

> > The I think new committed infrastructure for embedded Perl
> > Nagios (ePN) support does precisely this ie if the plugin
> > bombs out because of
> >
> >  . compile time errors (probably because of the ePN environment)
> >
> >  . run time errors
> >
> > then UNKNOWN is returned (along with a dump depending on log
> > level of the ePN).
> >
> > I share the former writers concern about spurious alerts.
> >
> > I canvassed this proposal (for new behaviour for ePN) with an
> > RFC to both Nag-users and Nag-devel and possibly plugindevel
> > as well, and got _no_ comments.

I don't recall seeing the question on plugin devel. I don't always
follow nag-* closely, so it would have been easy for me to miss there.

> > Personally, I have been running this way for some months now
> > and much prefer it to the former nightmare of committing a
> > new plugin only to find it notifies people unnecessarily
> > (yes, I test; use the epn simulator etc but still things go wrong).

There is ample precedent in the plugins for this behaviour

> > Stanley Hopcroft

> But think of following:
> A plugin runs successfully and returns ok.
> You start to rely on.
> Now something occurs, causing a runtime error.
> (someone deletes a file needed or changes permission or filesystem
> gets corrupted or whatever)
> It is true, that the status of that check in reality is unknown.
> But for me the overal picture is more important.
> Something is going wrong after it was ok.
> I want to KNOW a status but only find out that the status is unknown.
> That is critical for me.

Then you set nagios to page you for UNKNOWN.

> I reread the development guidelines and found that I missed something:
>
> 3 | Unknown | <snipped> or the plugin was unable to check the status
> of the given hosts/service
>
> That clearly states, what you implemented.
>
> My opinion is still different.
>
> Implementing it UKNOWN is more polite and keeps operators sleeping...
> ...but if knowing what is going on is most important, lets wake them
> up. ;-)

It only lets operators sleep if that's how you have configured nagios.

--
Karl