[Nagiosplug-devel] Replacement Perl framework files

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Mar 30 22:47:12 CEST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:52:35 +0100
Howard Wilkinson <howard at cohtech.com> wrote:

> I distributed the wrong files for the perl framework. Here are the
> fixed and working ones I should have sent out!.

A couple of comments.

First, I do appreciate that this framework does a great job of
providing a large base of usable code. Kudos. I would imagine there's
more than a few hours of work in there.

One trivial issue - you have 'warrenty' for 'warranty' - obivously a
lesser concern in the variable/method names but it is also present on
the output. If 'warrenty' is a non-US variant spelling, I'm not familiar
with it. Can that be changed?

What I do really wonder about is the overall weight of these modules -
there are 70 KB of modules for plugins that used to weigh in at only 8
KB to begin with. If embedded perl does what it's supposed to, this all
gets compiled only once, I hope. But if a user is not running embedded
perl, the sheer weight of code could have real performance impacts.

So overall, I'd like to move to this new frameowrk if the
potential performance impacts can be evaluated and found to be managable
in some way.

And thanks for this effort, it clearly is a step forward.

--
Karl