[Nagiosplug-devel] Replacement Perl framework files

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Wed Mar 31 00:28:19 CEST 2004

Karl,

My apologies for the speeeling mistook, I thought I had fixed all of
these. Will send in a new version (and patches later today).

I am running a production framework using these systems and yes the
compile time does predominate on the plugin execution (but I think if
the figures I am getting out of Perl are right then it did anyway). Key
thing is are the module files in the filing system cache!

Overall monitoring load has not increased by any measurable amount, with
each probe running every 5 minutes (Nagios reports 35.1% of checks
completed within 5 minutes and 100% in 15 minutes) . Check latency has
been decreased slightly if you believe the figures but is within the
error margin. Some of this will be from the few small gains made by code
getting rewritten to be simpler once the argument parsing is removed
from the main flow.

My later plugin attempt, which are still to be sent out, result in
generally smaller and easier to understand (I think) code.

The biggest overhead is the pre-defined Parameters that are exported for
convenience from Plugin::Parameter. I am thinking on moving these to
another module set, but then we are into more files for less code. I
could of course adopt a shorter naming convention, but I had hoped that
the efficiency of the Perl parser/lexer would make this unnecessary. ePN
should win big with this I would have thought but cannot test this yet,
as I need to get our distributed framework up on more machines and need
the auto learning facility urgently.

I note you comment about the `human' readable output in the check_game
patch and will abandon this approach (except for internal use) for now
until I can duplicate the perl library approach with the C framework.

Will hammer on the code a bit more later today to get some error
reporting integrated and write a surrounding document to describe the
use of the framework once it is fully ready.

Regards, Howard.

--
Howard Wilkinson
	Phone:
	<mailto:howard at cohtech.com>howard at cohtech.com

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from you system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guarenteed to be secure or error-free
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.