[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugin development

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 23 00:29:07 CET 2004

Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> On a side-note;
>> I've tried to contact the fping maintainer (current and all of the
>> previous) as well as stanford's legal department regarding the fping
>> source-code included in the check_icmp plugin I've written. After some
>> 20 emails I haven't got any responses at all, so I think it's safe to
>> include the check_icmp plugin in the main distribution now.
>>
>> It can be found at http://oss.op5.se, in the Nagios section. Latest
>> version is check_icmp-0.8.1
>

> In your code, you say:
>

>  * COPYLEFT;
>  * This programs copyright status is currently undetermined. Much of
>  * the code in it comes from the fping2 program which used to be licensed
>  * under the Stanford General Software License (available at
>  * http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/license.html). It is presently
>  * unclear what license (if any) applies to the original code at the
>  * moment.
>

> Can you remind me again what is unclear about the license status of the
> code that you are working from? Why wouldn't we use:
>
> /* fping website:  http://www.fping.com
>  *
>  * Current maintainers of fping:
>  *
>  * ZeroHype Technologies Inc. (http://www.zerohype.com)
>  * Suggestions and patches, please email noc at zerohype.com
>  *
>  * Original author:  Roland Schemers  <schemers at stanford.edu>
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>  * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
>  * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
>  * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
>  * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
>  * by Stanford University.  The name of the University may not be used
>  * to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
>  * specific prior written permission.
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
>  * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>  */
>

> from the current version of fping.c at at the fping website?

I guess we could, but that wasn't the comment that was in the fping.c
program (or COPYING) that I hacked into check_icmp. It had a blank line
followed by "copying and this and that permitted so long as the above
copyright notice is attached". I knew it was under the Stanford license
earlier, but they seemed to have dropped it for some reason. Anyways.
I'll update the check_icmp.c (and add a digital check_host mode as
well), and everything should be set.

I won't have time for it until the weekend though so 0.9 should be out
sunday afternoon or something.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer