[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugin development

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Fri Nov 19 12:48:02 CET 2004

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> On a side-note;
> I've tried to contact the fping maintainer (current and all of the
> previous) as well as stanford's legal department regarding the fping
> source-code included in the check_icmp plugin I've written. After some
> 20 emails I haven't got any responses at all, so I think it's safe to
> include the check_icmp plugin in the main distribution now.
>
> It can be found at http://oss.op5.se, in the Nagios section. Latest
> version is check_icmp-0.8.1

In your code, you say:

  * COPYLEFT;
  * This programs copyright status is currently undetermined. Much of
  * the code in it comes from the fping2 program which used to be licensed
  * under the Stanford General Software License (available at
  * http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/license.html). It is presently
  * unclear what license (if any) applies to the original code at the
  * moment.

Can you remind me again what is unclear about the license status of the
code that you are working from? Why wouldn't we use:

/* fping website:  http://www.fping.com
  *
  * Current maintainers of fping:
  *
  * ZeroHype Technologies Inc. (http://www.zerohype.com)
  * Suggestions and patches, please email noc at zerohype.com
  *
  * Original author:  Roland Schemers  <schemers at stanford.edu>
  *
  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
  * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
  * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
  * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
  * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
  * by Stanford University.  The name of the University may not be used
  * to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
  * specific prior written permission.
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
  * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
  */

from the current version of fping.c at at the fping website?