[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: french translations, first pass, some questions, first cleanup

Yves Mettier ymettier at libertysurf.fr
Tue Nov 23 01:40:59 CET 2004

> From: Ton Voon <tonvoon at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [Nagiosplug-devel] french translations, first pass, some questions, first
> cleanup
> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:08:36 +0000
> To: Benoit Mortier <benoit.mortier at opensides.be>

Here's my opinion about those 2 questions :

> - Are copyright messages (eg "Copyright (c) 2000-2003 Nagios Plugin
> Development Team") normally not translated?

Yes do translate them !

This is legal mention. If you had to go to justice, and if the message is not
translated, probably many countries will just say "we don't understand that. Please
translate to our language if you want that we consider your case".
So the answer is : yes !

Why are you asking why this should be translated or not ? Just because you don't trust
the person who translates. I can understand that. But if you don't trust him/her, just
refuse their translation (how could you notice that "alert" or "critical" or such
messages are not translated with bad words ?)

So trust the translator and let him/her translate the copyright mention.
Well, that's my opinion.

> - Short help only need "usage" translated? If the full help is
> translated, shouldn't the options in short help match?

Make the difference between messages and commands.
$ ls --help
  -A, --almost-all           ne pas inclure dans la liste . et ..

-A and --almost-all are commands. "ne pas inclure dans la liste . et .." is text.

Translate messages, and leave commands as is.

This is the same for shell or SQL commands that should not be translatable. The worse
part is when you have html :

printf("<h1>title here</h1>") should not be internationalized as printf( _("<h1>title
here</h1>") ) but like this :
printf("<h1>%s</h1>", _("title here"))

Yves

--