[Nagiosplug-devel] Re:_[Nagiosplug-devel]_Re:_french_translations, _first_pass, _somequestions,_first_cleanup?=

Yves Mettier ymettier at libertysurf.fr
Tue Nov 23 11:29:00 CET 2004

Because of mail problems here and my provider blacklisted at lists.sf.net, only Simon
got my answer. Apologies for that.
Simon quoted everything that's interesting, so I won't send my mail again.
My comments are inline.

>> >I disagree. I don't think copyright messages should be translated.
>> >
>> >Three reasons:
>> > 1. The (c) mark is internationally recognised.
>> > 2. The author name is never translated, because it's a name.
>>
>> Right in English, French, German and other latin languages. Definitely wrong for other
>> languages.
>>
>> > 2. It's simpler.
>>
>> You mean 3 :)
>> Well, this is also a good reason for translating nothing :)
>>
>> >When a company or a person releases a book in a different >language, they
>> >do not translate the company name or the author's name into that
>> >language.
>>
>> Wrong again :)
>> Have a look on the author of War and Peace, Tolstoy in English, Tolstoi in French and
>> German. I don't even talk about his orignal name :)
>>
>> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B9%2C_%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%B2_%D0%9D%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Nikolajewitsch_Tolstoi
>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A9on_Tolsto%C3%AF
>>
>> Yves
>
> Fair enough - an English person can hardly go to Amazon and type in
> "Толстой, Лев Николаевич".

I should not have mentionned the russian version. Now compare the name in French,
English and German : Tolstoï, Tolstoy and Tolstoi. Proof that the author's name of a
book is translated.
On amazon.fr, I will search for tolstoi or tolstoï. On amazon.com, I will search for
tolstoy.

> Andreas says "do what GNU do", I say go with that.

google search...
http://www.traduc.org/pipermail/traduc/2001-September/000500.html

I did not take time to search something about the name, but here, notice that RMS says
nothings.

> p.s. I think it's a little unfair to compare a dead Russian author with
> the "Nagios Plugin Development Team" :)

Well, unfair to compare the nagios plugins with a book too :)
Score is 1-1, and we still have no reference to read about translating the names or not.

Yves

--
- Homepage    - http://ymettier.free.fr - http://www.logicacmg.com -
- GPG key     - http://ymettier.free.fr/gpg.txt                    -