[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Nagios plugin translation next part ;-)

Benoit Mortier benoit.mortier at opensides.be
Thu Nov 25 01:07:01 CET 2004

Le mercredi 24 Novembre 2004 22:11, Ton Voon a écrit :
> On 24 Nov 2004, at 07:00, Benoit Mortier wrote:
> > Le mercredi 24 Novembre 2004 00:53, Ton Voon a écrit :
> >> On 23 Nov 2004, at 00:27, Benoit Mortier wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >
> >> Shouldn't this be translated? I'm thinking that general output (like:
> >> "DNS OK: response time whatever") should have the OK portion
> >> translated, so then that is only translated once across all the
> >> plugins.
> >
> > yes but the problem arise also with text like that
> >
> > SSH WARNING: could not open %s\n
> >
> > he should also be translated then like that
> >
> > WARNING SSH: impossible d'ouvrir %s\n
> >
> > because in french we use a lot of english text ;-)
>
> We were going to try and standardize output messages to:
>
>   METRIC STATUS: Information text

that's good ..

> In which case, I thought we should translate "METRIC", "STATUS", and
> "Information text" separately (especially as the information text may
> be generated - eg check_disk outputs different filesystem stats).

i think that "METRIC STATUS:" should stay on one block and "information
text" should be the other block, with the think arranged like that it
should be easy to translate.

> Are you saying that it is best to leave it as "METRIC STATUS:
> Information text" because some languages would translate into "STATUS
> METRIC: Information text"?

Yes some language like french will write the text in the other way like i
said ;-)

SSH ERROR in english and ERREUR SSH in french

so if we would translate the two block it will be SSH ERREUR that could be a
good compromise ;-)

> >> This text is not in the current CVS HEAD for check_dns.c. How is the
> >> fr.po file regenerated?
> >
> > make update-po and using POTFILE generated by configure with
> > POTFILE.in and
> > msgmerge --update from getetxt
>
> Is this something you run when required, or should it be added to
> tools/setup?

you can juste run make update-po when your are in the po directory, the
"msgmerge --update" is the command inside the update-po part of the
makefile.

POTFILE.in in the po directory contains the .c file that should be localized

--
Benoit Mortier
OpenSides sprl