[Nagiosplug-devel] check_oracle arguments

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Dec 7 08:33:57 CET 2005

On 7 Dec 2005, at 16:09, Matthias Eble wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I recently read the check_oracle source and think, there could be
> added some getopt command line parsing. This would unfortunately
> lead to complete incompatibility with old nrpe configurations.
>
> Is there a special reason why positional arguments are used in
> check_oracle?

I think that's just the way it always has been. There is some basic
command line parsing.

Given the age of check_oracle, if there was new command line arg
syntax, I'd like to try and retain the old syntax if possible.

> What do you think about adding some getopt functionality?

I'm happy to do that. The trouble is trying to keep this working
across all platforms since it is in a shell script.

Perhaps we could use some of the autoconf routines to simulate getopt
handling?

> Additionaly there are several check_ora* plugins in the contrib
> dir, providing further functionality which could be merged into
> check_oracle.

I am happy to roll in functionality where it makes sense.

> I already added these things to my local check_oracle.
>
> But how do you think about that?

I'm happy to evaluate it, but I don't have an Oracle database at the
moment to test against.

I'm trying to setup automated testing so that we can see when things
have changed: http://tinderbox.altinity.org. Could you spare a
machine to do daily builds?

What about this as a plan?

   1. Write a test plan for the current check_oracle
   2. Develop new check_oracle. Make sure it still passes all tests
   3. Enhance the test plan for check_oracle to include the extra
functionality

I'm happy to help with the tests if you want to discuss offline.

> p.s Is it correct, that check oracle has not been modified for
> 12months?

Either it is feature complete or it is very stable :)

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725