Antwort: [Nagiosplug-devel] 1.4 release [Virus scanned]

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Jan 29 02:56:50 CET 2005

Sascha Runschke wrote:
>>1. Release 1.4 now and branch it. Only bugs fixed in 1.4 branch and we
>>can move onto 1.5.
>>
>>2. Wait until all the bugs in the tracker are resolved (or marked to be
>>left till next release)
>>
>>3. Wait for a few specific bugs to be squished
>>
>>Although 3 sounds reasonable, my vote is for 1. If you vote for 3, then
>>you have to specify exactly which bugs need squishing, otherwise we'll
>>be here for ages!
>

> Uhm, the thought alone of making a "release" which still has known bugs
> makes me choke ;)

The bugs are more of a porting issue. For instance, check_disk doesn't
work on HPUX with network mounted disks and non-GNU df. Bugs of this
kind are non-trivial to fix, especially considering the lack of systems
to test on.

> Even though I am not actively contributing to the nagiosplug project, I
> still feel the urge to
> express my thoughts about it. Imho it's a majorly bad idea to release a
> code as "stable",
> even though you know there are some - maybe even critical bugs - in it.

No critical bugs should be released. I'm with you there. The SIGSEGV in
check_ping must be resolved (although I believe my own contribution of
the next check_icmp obsoletes it).

> It will greatly reduce the trust the users will put into the nagiosplug
> project.
> What will people think that see "oh, a new release", download it and
> notice there are loads
> of bugs in it?

Not loads of bugs. Some plugins won't work properly on obscure platforms.

> Not all users of Nagios monitor this list and may not be
> aware of what they are
> diving into.

A BUGS-file should accompany the release at the very least, and it
should be referenced in the README.

> I'd really advise you to reconsider releasing 1.4 in the current state and
> rather fix the bugs
> that are still in the code. Freeze the code, don't apply any new patches
> for new features, just
> do bugfixing of the old ones.

That was done sometime in december, if I remember this correctly.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer