[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: making a 1.4.1 release?

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Tue Jul 5 08:45:13 CEST 2005

On 4 Jul 2005, at 18:56, sean finney wrote:

> hi all,
>
> given that most of the commits in the past couple months have been
> bugfixes and not feature additions, how do folks feel about making
> a 1.4.1 release with said bugfixes?
>

>     sean

Yes, this is a good idea. Thanks for all your work, Sean.

Can I suggest a release in two weeks, say, Thurs 21st July, to allow
any other fixes to be thrown in? I haven't been working on the
plugins recently, but I've got a bit of time soon so I'll try some
builds. I noticed someone had dropped in a new testing suite which
I'd like to commit.

Is the CHANGES file up to date? I use that to generate the "press
release" that accompanies a new release.

Also, I'm looking for some opinions on our versioning strategy. At
the moment, there is the CVS HEAD branch and a r1_4 branch. I was
thinking that HEAD was always the latest branch, and then we apply
bug fixes to r1_4 and HEAD, but this is probably too much overhead.
There was an email some time back which suggested that we get smarter
with our version numbers. So I'm proposing that for the 1.4.1
release, we make a branch which is r1_4_1 which we only commit
absolutely critical bugs into (and thus into HEAD as well) and then
release 1.4.1.x based off this. Meanwhile, we continue committing to
HEAD, with a release of 1.4.x. At some point in the future, we'll
make the latest 1.4.x into 1.5. I think this is the way that GNU
coreutils is done.

My feeling on feature additions is that they should go into the HEAD
branch (with clearly documented "breakage" in the CHANGES file). We
just don't have enough resources to handle multiple streams of
development.

Comments?