[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: making a 1.4.1 release?

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Wed Jul 6 00:36:33 CEST 2005

On 6 Jul 2005, at 07:27, sean finney wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 06:53:49AM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
>
>> So I think you are saying:
>>
>> - stay with r1_4 and HEAD
>> - bugfixes and security updates to r1_4, all other development to
>> HEAD
>> - create a r1_5 branch from HEAD at some point (so there is r1_4,
>> r1_5 and HEAD)
>> - release r1_5
>> - close r1_4 at some point
>>

> more like
>
>  - stay with r1_4 and HEAD
>  - bugfixes and security updates to r1_4, all other development to
> HEAD
>  - close r1_4 at some point
>  - create a r1_5 branch from HEAD at some point (so there is r1_5
> and HEAD)
>  - release r1_5
>
> the idea being that we close up shop and store away 1.4.x for good at
> some point, that point being shortly before officially starting
> work on
> making a new 1.5.x series.

I assume "close r1_4" is just a statement that only major bug/
security fixes will make it into r1_4 and not some CVS thing?

At the stage of a r1_5 and HEAD branch, what is the difference? If I
have an enhancement that I want in the 1.5 release, does this mean I
have to apply to r1_5 and HEAD as well?

I only normally use CVS for single branch development, so maybe I am
missing something?

>> I have a (maybe oversimplified) equation in my head where "more
>> branches" = "more work", so I'm trying to keep the number of branches
>> to two.
>>

> i'd say that's probably a good idea.  no reason not to also tag
> versions
> to any of the 1.4.x and 1.5.x point releases as well, but i think two
> actively maintained branches (one stable, one development) is ideal.

I agree with one stable and one development branch, which is why I am
thinking stable = r1_4 (moving to r1_5 when released) and development
= HEAD.

Sean, you didn't answer the question re: recent changes to HEAD for
the 1.4.1 release. Do we need to patch the r1_4 branch?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here - I just want to get this
straight! This is a good discussion.