[Nagiosplug-devel] Obsoleted contrib and tarballs files

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Thu Jul 7 15:09:32 CEST 2005

On 6 Jul 2005, at 23:46, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:03:32PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>> I really think we should unshackle ourselves from every plugin in the
>> world and setup a CPAN-like area (or promote the use of one). That
>> way support is kept with the plugin originators and they can update
>> them independently from this project. The Nagios Plugins will still
>> be for "core" functionality and showcasing new methods and techniques
>> of interfacing with Nagios.
>>
>> I have had resistance to this idea in the past and I want to reopen
>> the debate because I think this is the only way to go in future.
>>

> It was probably from me but I can't think why at the moment.
>
> It is an advantageous proposal in that it
>
> 1 allows development to concentrate on the official plugins
>
> 2 allows the donation of contributed code, without any commitment
> whatsoever
> from the project
>
> Such a facility may already exist (called 'Nagiosexchange').
>
> OTOH doing so requires in my view
>
> 1 deciding what to do with contrib code that is already on the SF
> contrib
> tracker
>
> 2 managing expectations: at least, updating the plugin developers
> guidelines.

If these are the only two issues, then I am up for it.

Having had a quick look around http://www.nagiosexchange.org/, it
seems to be well thought out. It is supported by a reseller of
Nagios, but I don't have a problem with that. Has anyone got any
opinion of this site? I guess I am trying to work out what are the
requirements for a Plugin CPAN.

I guess there are issues of control and trust, but I've overcome my
NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome - if Nagios Exchange is the place to
promote, I'm happy to start having discussions with the site owners.

Any other opinions? I think this is a big step and I'd like to make
sure it is the right direction.