[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios plugins CPAN-like archive (was: Obsoleted contrib and tarballs files)

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Jul 11 19:36:20 CEST 2005

On 7 Jul 2005, at 23:08, Ton Voon wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2005, at 23:46, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
>

>> Dear Folks,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:03:32PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
>>

>>> Guys,
>>> I really think we should unshackle ourselves from every plugin in
>>> the
>>> world and setup a CPAN-like area (or promote the use of one). That
>>> way support is kept with the plugin originators and they can update
>>> them independently from this project. The Nagios Plugins will still
>>> be for "core" functionality and showcasing new methods and
>>> techniques
>>> of interfacing with Nagios.
>>>
>>> I have had resistance to this idea in the past and I want to reopen
>>> the debate because I think this is the only way to go in future.
>>>

>> It was probably from me but I can't think why at the moment.
>>
>> It is an advantageous proposal in that it
>>
>> 1 allows development to concentrate on the official plugins
>>
>> 2 allows the donation of contributed code, without any commitment
>> whatsoever
>> from the project
>>
>> Such a facility may already exist (called 'Nagiosexchange').
>>
>> OTOH doing so requires in my view
>>
>> 1 deciding what to do with contrib code that is already on the SF
>> contrib
>> tracker
>>
>> 2 managing expectations: at least, updating the plugin developers
>> guidelines.
>>

> If these are the only two issues, then I am up for it.
>
> Having had a quick look around http://www.nagiosexchange.org/, it
> seems to be well thought out. It is supported by a reseller of
> Nagios, but I don't have a problem with that. Has anyone got any
> opinion of this site? I guess I am trying to work out what are the
> requirements for a Plugin CPAN.
>
> I guess there are issues of control and trust, but I've overcome my
> NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome - if Nagios Exchange is the place
> to promote, I'm happy to start having discussions with the site
> owners.
>
> Any other opinions? I think this is a big step and I'd like to make
> sure it is the right direction.

No opinions about a Nagios plugins CPAN-like area? I'm interested to
hear what people think. Please respond privately if you prefer.

I've had a think about this and I think my main requirement is that
this CPAN-like area must allow mirroring of their archive. This means
that if the main site stops being available, the mirrors will still
hold the data.

Any other requirements necessary?