[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios plugins CPAN-like archive (was: Obsoleted contrib and tarballs files)

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon Jul 11 20:02:15 CEST 2005

hi,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:10:35PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
> No opinions about a Nagios plugins CPAN-like area? I'm interested to
> hear what people think. Please respond privately if you prefer.

i think providing an easier way for people to submit and review
plugins is a good idea.  i do have some concerns though:

my main concern is with qa-related topics.  sure, there's the NIH
syndrome you mentioned earlier (which i think is relevant), but i'm
more worried about the overall lack of control over quality, as well
as pollution of our namespace/reputation.

i think such concerns could be addressed if we had some way of providing
some kind of nagiosplug "status" or "rating", where it was made clear
whether or not it was reviewed by a member of the team, whether it was
being considered for inclusion, et c.  if such a system existed, i think
it would make a better bridge for plugins to make their way into the
project, and would overall be a good thing.  this would also obsolete
the need for a "contrib" section.

otherwise, i'd be very hesitant for moving in this direction, and am
not sure what it would gain us that couldn't be simply done by linking
to the nagiosexchange site where a similar collection system for plugins
already seems to exist.

	sean