[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios plugins CPAN-like archive

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Tue Jul 12 17:25:14 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:17:41PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> This shouldn't be a problem, considering the fact that the code quality
> of todays official plugins isn't exactly stellar.

perhaps this may be true, but this is something i'm actively working on
making less true.   i also think your standards are a more critical than
most peoples'.  but more importantly, i look at the quality of what's
in the official plugins, and look at what's in contrib, and i kind of
plot an imaginary line in my mind and imagine that introducing such
an archive would take things even further out.

> The official plugins doesn't HAVE a namespace, unless you count the
> "my_" prefix, which is sort of restricted for personal use by general
> agreement. I like the np_ you added in front of np_connect() though, so
> that could be the seed to one.

i was referring not so much to the API (though yes, the future internal
API should have a common naming scheme) as the names of the plugins
themselves.

> >i think such concerns could be addressed if we had some way of providing
> >some kind of nagiosplug "status" or "rating", where it was made clear
> >whether or not it was reviewed by a member of the team, whether it was
> >being considered for inclusion,
>

> Bad idea, for (at least) two reasons;
> 1) Plugins in contrib aren't evaluated, checked or any such thing by
> official developers today, so it'd be quite a miracle if they (that is,
> you) started doing so just because you had to download them in a special
> package as opposed to getting them "for free" when checking out the CVS.

i think the idea is that independant developers could solicit
sponsorship of plugins as part of introducing them into
nagios-plugins-proper.  this would also lead to the eventual demise of
the contrib section.  but perhaps you're right.

> I vote link to nagiosexchange. It's a wiki, so plugin authors can put
> links to whatever they want fairly much wherever they want.
>
> Just make it clear that you frown upon people who add
> nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net to the help output of their
> plugins, or in any way claim to be affiliated with the official distro
> when they're not.

this is always another option.

	sean