[Nagiosplug-devel] Kickoff for 1.5

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Tue Mar 8 12:04:29 CET 2005

On 4 Mar 2005, at 22:37, sean finney wrote:
> what would be a big plus for me would be a more integrated inclusion
> of snmp-based checks.  much of what we do now at the installations
> where i use nagios is via ssh based checks, which unfortunately doesn't
> scale very well.  much of what we monitor on these hosts is also
> exported via snmp (and graphed via cacti), and there already exist a
> bunch of snmp-based checks in contrib, but with a lot of redundant
> code and not really a consistant feel from what i remember.

I don't personally use SNMP, but it does feel like there are a lot of
redundant pieces. There probably needs to be a bit of thought in how it
hangs together.

What exactly do you think needs doing? Subendu is the resident expert
in SNMP, so I'll leave him to decide the direction here.

> so, to both add something to your list and also offer myself as a
> volunteer, that's something i'd be interested in helping out with,
> as well as with whatever proofreading qa checking you'd like to do
> on some of the other plugins as well.

I think that's why I want to get a "wish list", so then we can have
people jump in with help on any particular areas. I don't think there
is anything around proofreading or QA that is required. Some work on
the test suite would be very helpful.