[Nagiosplug-devel] Kickoff for 1.5

Harper Mann hmann at itgroundwork.com
Wed Mar 9 18:00:04 CET 2005

Hi Everyone,

There are several items in an SNMP plugin discussion we're interested in and
are working on.  What I can remember off the top of my head is:

1) How to manage and alarm on counter data like interface traffic, etc.  We
use check_rrd, which was mentioned earlier in this thread, and perhaps
that's sufficient since we customarily store and graph, but standardizing
this would be good.  We're not sure RRDTool will scale to sufficient size
installations.

2) We've had a request to collect 3-4 SNMP values (in, out, errors) from
more than 10,000 interfaces every 15 minutes so we're looking into how to
scale to such a large installation.  Aside from how to get plugins to keep
up with collecting, what's the best way to store so much performance data?

3) Fix the performance data so it conforms to the project standards and
manages OIDs and Symbolic names well for multiple requests.

This should be good!

Regards,

- Harper

Harper Mann