[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Welcome to the "Nagiosplug-devel" mailing list

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 17 00:33:10 CET 2005

Pio Niyi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a newbie to Nagios and I'm trying to monitor https on my servers but I
> can't seem to understand some of the options and their outputs my questios
> are:
>
> 1) for example what does this output mean in English:
>
> ./check_tcp -H somehost.com <http://somehost.com> -p 443 -v

The -v flag is for debugging plugins. Non-programmers aren't expected to
understand it, since you need to read the code to be able to understand
what everything means. In this case you may also have to know the binary
positions of tcp flags.

> Using service TCP
> Port: 0
> flags: 0x6
> server_expect_count: 0
> TCP OK - 0.000 second response time on port
> 443|time=0.000484s;0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;10.000000
>

> 2) What parameters do I use to measure the -w (warnings) and -c (critical)
> threshold..

Whatever you choose.

> 3) I also noticed that when I ran nmap on the servers port 443 was open then
> after a while it wasn't open then I get connection refused error how do I
> monitor this service or do I enable flapping for this service??

Flapping is autodetected if you enable it.

> or maybe I'm missing some basics if I am pls. can u send links of some
> tutorials on how to successfully monitor this service as it is crucial to
> the services my company offers.
> thanks in advance

check_http --help
grok the Nagios docs.