[Nagiosplug-devel] testing accounts

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 7 01:19:07 CEST 2005

Garrett Honeycutt wrote:
> I wrote check_mem to monitor memory usage of linux systems and would
> like to make it portable to other systems to enhance its usability.

How did you write it? If it's written in perl, it's not portable enough
(many old or stripped down systems don't have perl). If it's written in
shell, it must only use commands specified in the SUS and POSIX to be
portable, and must only use command-syntax required to be implemented in
POSIX.

If you've written it in C, you can use the sysinfo(2) system call on
linux, but that's linux-specific. Using sysconf(3) where _SC_PHYSPAGES
and _SC_PAGESIZE or _SC_PAGE_SIZE and _SC_AVPHYS_PAGES are defined
should work. That way you can simply write an #ifdef fallthrough for
non-supported systems (making the plugins build cleanly), and one can
simply add #ifdef sections for systems as required/researched. Most
systems have some mechanism similar to the sysinfo(2) call on linux.

> I am
> also working on a plugin to return lots of performance data from nfsstat
> for trend analysis and could use some more OS's for testing. I would
> greatly appreciate it anyone could give me an account on a machine with
> an OS of Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, True64, NetBSD, or FreeBSD. If you can
> provide me with an account, please email me off list.

http://www.testdrive.hp.com
Sign up, sign in, do the testing. They have all of the above, except
Solaris, and it's free.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer