[Nagiosplug-devel] Perl module name change request

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Apr 6 04:59:21 CEST 2006

On 6 Apr 2006, at 12:14, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Lars Hecking wrote:
>
>>  I ran into a serious problem with nagios-
>> plugins-1.4.2-1.1.el3.rf.i386.rpm
>>  downloaded from Dag Wieers' site. This package installs utils.pm
>> into both
>>  /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/ and /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/.
>> The latter
>>  is causing a huge problem here: it interferes with a custom
>> wrapper we use
>>  for Mentor CAD tools. This wrapper appends rather than prepends
>> its own
>>  library directory to @INC; I'm not sure I can get our CAD
>> department to
>>  change that (you know how it's like in a big company: procedures
>> to be
>>  followed, QA etc.).
>>
>>  For now, I can workaround this by removing
>>  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/utils.pm after rpm installation;
>> the
>>  perl based plugins are not being used. But In the long term, you
>> should
>>  change either the install location, or the name of the module -
>> utils.pm
>>  is very generic.

Could make the same point about your CAD implementation :)

> Lars, thanks for making the time to report this. The installation
> part of
> nagios and the nagios-plugins can use some redesign. Things are too
> complicated, paths have to be reorganized and default config-files
> have to
> be rewritten to make it work properly. Nagios is one of the most
> complicated in its kind (and I package more than 2500 projects).
>
> This causes documentation to be different (depending on who packages
> nagios or how it was installed) and leads to enough problems to think
> over and standardize the directory structure used by Nagios.

This has been mulling in my head over the last few months. I agree
that the perl plugins are quiet messy in their setup.

For the next major release, we'll probably do something radical with
perl based plugins. I'm currently thinking that perl core library
functionality is distributed via CPAN. Stanley Hopcroft has setup a
Nagios:: namespace which is the logical place to put them. The
nagiosplug project will then just hold the executables.

This is up for discussion. Please understand that this is some way off.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725