[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Perl module name change request

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Apr 6 04:45:05 CEST 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Lars Hecking wrote:

>  I ran into a serious problem with nagios-plugins-1.4.2-1.1.el3.rf.i386.rpm
>  downloaded from Dag Wieers' site. This package installs utils.pm into both
>  /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/ and /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/. The latter
>  is causing a huge problem here: it interferes with a custom wrapper we use
>  for Mentor CAD tools. This wrapper appends rather than prepends its own
>  library directory to @INC; I'm not sure I can get our CAD department to
>  change that (you know how it's like in a big company: procedures to be
>  followed, QA etc.).
>
>  For now, I can workaround this by removing
>  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/utils.pm after rpm installation; the
>  perl based plugins are not being used. But In the long term, you should
>  change either the install location, or the name of the module - utils.pm
>  is very generic.

Lars, thanks for making the time to report this. The installation part of
nagios and the nagios-plugins can use some redesign. Things are too
complicated, paths have to be reorganized and default config-files have to
be rewritten to make it work properly. Nagios is one of the most
complicated in its kind (and I package more than 2500 projects).

This causes documentation to be different (depending on who packages
nagios or how it was installed) and leads to enough problems to think
over and standardize the directory structure used by Nagios.

Kind regards,