[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Perl module name change request

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Apr 6 05:21:17 CEST 2006

hi folks,

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 01:14:19PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Lars, thanks for making the time to report this. The installation part of
> nagios and the nagios-plugins can use some redesign. Things are too
> complicated, paths have to be reorganized and default config-files have to
> be rewritten to make it work properly. Nagios is one of the most
> complicated in its kind (and I package more than 2500 projects).

speaking as a packager myself, i think the biggest problem with
nagios+plugins packaging is that the build setup was never really
built with the concept of 3rd-party packagers in mind.  for example,
things like hard-coded paths at compile-time and non-overridable
compiled-in settings are a major PITA for packagers.  Also, the
subst.in has been broken for our uses for as long as i've known
it.

one of the significant focuses of my efforts on the plugins team
is removing such obstacles.  i think you will find that 1.4.3
will contain some (modest) improvements, and and i'm sure 1.5 (or 1.4.4
depending on what we call it) will be much better.

much of the work i've done is based on my experiences with getting
nagios-plugins packaged for debian.  if you have specific suggestions
(whether they be for rpm or in general), i'd love to hear them and
see what we can do.

	sean