[Nagiosplug-devel] Perl module name change request

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Apr 6 17:41:06 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:58:04PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2006, at 12:14, Dag Wieers wrote:
> >Lars, thanks for making the time to report this. The installation
> >part of
> >nagios and the nagios-plugins can use some redesign. Things are too
> >complicated, paths have to be reorganized and default config-files
> >have to
> >be rewritten to make it work properly. Nagios is one of the most
> >complicated in its kind (and I package more than 2500 projects).
> >
> >This causes documentation to be different (depending on who packages
> >nagios or how it was installed) and leads to enough problems to think
> >over and standardize the directory structure used by Nagios.
>
> This has been mulling in my head over the last few months. I agree
> that the perl plugins are quiet messy in their setup.
>
> For the next major release, we'll probably do something radical with
> perl based plugins. I'm currently thinking that perl core library
> functionality is distributed via CPAN. Stanley Hopcroft has setup a
> Nagios:: namespace which is the logical place to put them. The
> nagiosplug project will then just hold the executables.
>
> This is up for discussion. Please understand that this is some way off.

Also, the current utils.pm is pretty minimalist in terms of the
functionality it provides to plugin authors. I wrote a replacement
Nagios::Plugin module that I've used in a number of perl modules
that you might like to review/critique when you get to that point,
available here:

  http://www.openfusion.com.au/labs/nagios/

There are still a couple of issues under ePN in the latest version that
I need to resolve, but otherwise it's stable. I'd be happy to help out
on the perl side of things too if you need any help.

Cheers,
Gavin

--
Open Fusion - Open Source Business Solutions [ Linux - Perl - Apache ]
http://www.openfusion.com.au