[Nagiosplug-devel] setuid plugin handling

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Dec 7 06:22:18 CET 2006

I just noticed that check_dhcp and check_icmp are missing from the rpmforge
nagios-plugins package. Turns out this is because of this change in 1.4.3:

  Setuid plugins (check_dhcp, check_icmp) separated into plugins-root/.
  Run make install as root to install

Since packagers don't like to run things as root, these two (at least) were
omitted.

Can we change this behaviour to make setuid plugins always install, and then
make them setuid if we're installing as root? Making the binaries setuid at
make install time is definitely optional - it can be done by the packaging
system, or they could even be installed non-setuid and called by sudo, for
instance.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Gavin