[Nagiosplug-devel] setuid plugin handling

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Dec 7 07:54:17 CET 2006

hi gavin,

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 16:22 +1100, Gavin Carr wrote:
> I just noticed that check_dhcp and check_icmp are missing from the rpmforge
> nagios-plugins package. Turns out this is because of this change in 1.4.3:
>
>   Setuid plugins (check_dhcp, check_icmp) separated into plugins-root/.
>   Run make install as root to install
>
> Since packagers don't like to run things as root, these two (at least) were
> omitted.

in debian we use fakeroot for building packages, so even though we're
not building as root many of the build scripts think so and as a result
we have the plugins in question as part of the default install (though
we don't ship them with the setuid bits and document this with rationale
and what to do)

> Can we change this behaviour to make setuid plugins always install, and then
> make them setuid if we're installing as root? Making the binaries setuid at
> make install time is definitely optional - it can be done by the packaging
> system, or they could even be installed non-setuid and called by sudo, for
> instance.

i don't have any objection to this, anyway.

	sean