[Nagiosplug-devel] Solaris problems

bobi at netshel.net bobi at netshel.net
Thu Dec 7 22:31:30 CET 2006

Hi Ton,

I'm the trouble-maker who wrote the pst3 program for Solaris.

The intent was to get around the 80 character limit on ps output imposed
by the built-in ps program and the Solaris library.  We have Java
processes that we have to monitor that are not differentiable within the
first 80 bytes of the command-line displayed by the stock Solaris ps
program.

In answer to question #1: Try "man crle".  This is the Solaris equivalent
of Linux's "ldconfig".

It allows you to modify the system dynamic link library path, just like
ldconfig does under Linux.  Therefore, no need to mess around with
environment vars, hoping they'll exist when you need them.

Of course, the downside is you have to be root (I think,) to  run crle.

So that's a possibility for #1.

As for problem #2.  Ouch.  I have have Solaris 8 and 9 running in our
organization, I guess I really should revisit pst3.c and make sure it runs
under both 32-bit and 64-bit mode under Solaris 9.  I wrote it when we
only had access to Solaris 8 but I did test it under both 32 and 64 bit
builds (or so I thought.)

Would you like me to try testing it against Solaris 9?  (That's the latest
we are running.)

Hope this helps.

Bob