[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Nagios 3 and Embedded Perl Plugins

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Dec 21 23:39:01 CET 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 08:10:58PM +0100, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Ethan Galstad wrote:
> > Line 2 of a Perl plugin may start with one of the following:
> >
> > #USE_EPN
> >
> > -or-
> >
> > #NO_EPN
> >
> > Plugin devs - would you prefer different statements other than #USE_EPN
> > / #NO_EPN, or are they okay?  Any other comments or suggestions?
>
> I'd go for a more namespace-like approach:
>
> # Nagios: use_epn
> vs.
> # Nagios: no_epn

+1 on the Nagios: (or nagios:) label.

> also, it'd be nicer maybe to use more similar positive/negative
> flags, for example +epn/-epn.
>
> So, in all:
>
> # Nagios: +epn
> vs.
> # Nagios: -epn
>
> In the future, one could add more execution hints like this:
>
> # Nagios: -epn,+foo,-multithreaded,+volatile

I don't much mind USE_EPN/NO_EPN (or use_epn/no_epn maybe) or +epn/-epn.
I quite like the idea Tobias' general idea though - you end up with
something like vim modelines:

# vim:et:sw=2:ai:sm

I'd quite like some flexibility about location too. Would it be much work
to allow the tags to occur anywhere within the first or last 1024 bytes
of the file, say?

Cheers,
Gavin