[Nagiosplug-devel] Checking for unknown NIS servers?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon Feb 13 08:36:02 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:20:19PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> I think that will be fairly difficult. Broadcasting for responses and
> checking if there is one that shouldn't be there means waiting for ALL
> servers on the network to respond. This quickly turns unwieldy even for
> small networks, since most have some IP-addresses empty. Management
> nightmare, if I ever saw one.

um, isn't the point of broadcasting such that you don't have to
contact the individual addresses?  my assumption was that for
NIS broadcasting you simply put some noise on the wire, and any
masters on the local network segment responded.

more to the point, i was thinking a tool like the following might be
nice:

check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -H host1    <--- check master for serving domain
check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -b [addr]   <--- same, but broadcast
check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -x          <--- same, but invert matching sense

the last is what the OP was talking about, i guess.  unfortunately my
NIS/YP/RPC-foo isn't nearly up to the challenge, at least without
a couple RTFM pointers.

	sean