[Nagiosplug-devel] Checking for unknown NIS servers?

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Mon Feb 13 08:43:03 CET 2006

> contact the individual addresses?  my assumption was that for
> NIS broadcasting you simply put some noise on the wire, and any
> masters on the local network segment responded.

As best I understand it, yes, that's the way it works.

> more to the point, i was thinking a tool like the following might be
> nice:
>
> check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -H host1    <--- check master for serving
> domain
> check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -b [addr]   <--- same, but broadcast
> check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -x          <--- same, but invert matching
> sense
>
> the last is what the OP was talking about, i guess.  unfortunately my
> NIS/YP/RPC-foo isn't nearly up to the challenge, at least without
> a couple RTFM pointers.

Personally, I need something like:

check_nis -d domain1,domain2 -x -s server1,server2

... that will return a non-OK value if any _more_ servers respond,
other than server1 or server2, such as an unintentional or rogue
server3 answering the broadcast.

I know I can't code it, but I could certainly help test it if
someone were to take a shot.  :)

Benny

--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention
in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and