[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping and check_icmp confusion

Marc Haber mh+nagiosplug-devel at zugschlus.de
Thu Feb 23 01:23:01 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:15:23PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Oh, and the most compelling reasons not to use check_ping:
> * It runs /bin/ping and parses the output. This works nicely so long as
> the developers have access to a ping that produces output in a certain
> format, but that's not as predictable as some like to think.

Also, from a distribution point of view, it is ugly to have check_ping
configured for a certain ping flavor at build time. Since Debian is a
binary distribution, we as maintainers have to make that decision for
our users, making our package depend on a certain ping flavor, making
it impossible for the local admin to choose a different ping to be
installed on the nagios system.

I am all for changing to check_icmp if that means that we can drop our
package dependency on ping.

Greetings
Marc