[Nagiosplug-devel] check_disk enhancements

Scot Jenkins scotjenkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 06:14:07 CEST 2006

On 7/15/06, Gavin Carr <gavin at openfusion.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Ton,
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:53:12AM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
> > I've spent a lot of time on check_disk and I think it is much better
> > now. However, there are a few things I wanted to get some opinions on.
>
> Your changes look great. The missing feature I'd most like check_disk is
> a flag to change reporting (and perhaps also thresholds, but that's less
> important) from being in terms of free space to being in terms of
> utilisation, so the percentages would be like 'df'.
>
> For some reason, my brain finds scanning utilisation percentages much
> easier than free space ones - contrast:
>
> DISK OK - free space: / 666 MB (13%); /boot 31 MB (32%); /export 63118 MB (63%)
>
> with:
>
> DISK OK - utilization: / 4251 MB (87%); /boot 63 MB (67%); /export 33414 MB (37%)
>

> Anyone else wired this way?
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin

I'll second this.  I came to Nagios from the BigBrother (BB) world.
BB's disk checks were based on utilitization, like df(1), so I tend to
think in terms of % used not % free.  I've found it very confusing
trying to switch to the % free methodology.

I guess that makes me a glass 1/2 full kind of person. :)

Scot