[Nagiosplug-devel] nagios-plugins with-mysql on FC3

Dennis Kuhlmeier kuhlmeier at riege.com
Wed Jul 19 14:01:43 CEST 2006

Hi,

sorry for answering my own mail... just found out what causes the
problem (see below), still don't know how to fix it.

And sorry for quoting the complete mail, just wanted to make sure,
everybody knows what we are talking about ;)

Dennis Kuhlmeier wrote:
> Hi Ton and Mike,
>

> I have sort of the same problem and can provide some more details.
>

> nagios-plugins-1.4.3 do not successfully finish the configure script
>  as soon as --with-mysql is given.
>

> This occurs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update
>  7) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 2.1 (Panama) and probably
>  on other installations.
>

> It succeeds on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update
>  3) machine.
>

> The error message is the same as above and appears repeatedly.
>
> sed: file ./confstatwmNw8v/subs-3.sed line 35: Unterminated `s'
>  command
>

> After hacking around in the configure script I prevented it from
>  deleting the temporary file. This is what line 35 says on the RHEL4
>  machine: s, at MYSQLINCLUDE@,-I/usr/include/mysql,;t t
>

> That looks perfectly fine.
>
> On the other machines line 35 looks like this:
>
> s, at MYSQLINCLUDE@,Usage: /usr/lib/mysql/mysql_config [OPTIONS]
>

> followed by lines 36-41 containing that:

>         --cflags        [-I'/usr/include/mysql']
>
>         --libs          [-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt
>  -lnsl -lm]
>
>         --socket        [/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock]
>
>         --port          [3306]
>
>         --version       [3.23.58],;t t
>

> Well, sure this won't work, but why does that happen?

The difference is the mysql version and the parameters
/usr/bin/mysql_conf accepts, as MySQL version 4 understands several
more parameters:

# /usr/bin/mysql_config
Usage: /usr/lib/mysql/mysql_config [OPTIONS]
        --cflags         [-I/usr/include/mysql -g -pipe -m32
-march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing]
        --include        [-I/usr/include/mysql]
        --libs           [-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt
-lnsl -lm -L/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto]
        --libs_r         [-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient_r -lz
-lpthread -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lpthread -L/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto]
        --socket         [/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock]
        --port           [3306]
        --version        [4.1.20]
        --libmysqld-libs [-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqld -lz -lpthread
-lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lpthread -lrt]

So I guess the configure script sends more options than the MySQL3
version of mysql_conf can handle. Any fix or workaround for that?

Thanks in advance!

--
TheQL°

Home Safety Tip for Men #1: Don't iron naked.