[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ntp plugin issues

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Tue Mar 14 02:31:06 CET 2006

hi ton, andreas,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:09:16AM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
> My preference would be for C routines that would produce a single,
> independent executable, but if it has to be in Perl, then so be it.

my thoughts exactly...

> You can take the lead on this Sean. I just need to know if you think
> it will be stable enough for 1.4.3 release or whether it is best to
> wait for the subsequent release.

okay... i'll let you know after i've written the code :)

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:16:33AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> yuck... Perhaps the code from the module can be re-used instead? NTP
> being a binary protocol I doubt it's implemented as perl.

nope.  i just fetched the source package and it's a .pm library
with some funky pack/unpack code...

> For public, unencrypted NTPv3 servers it's not terribly difficult. For
> servers with encrypted transfers it's definitely harder (I think 75% of
> the code in the current ISC ntpd handles the auto-key dancing).

yeah, that's what it seems.  looks like sending and then receiving
a udp packet, and then extracting the fields.  since afaict the
currently plugin doesn't handle any encryption related parts
of the protocol, we wouldn't be introducing a regression either.

	sean