[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Sending newlines for check_tcp

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Mar 27 02:32:03 CEST 2006

Hi!

Sent this last week and got no responses. This is one of 2 items on
my todo list for 1.4.3, so wanted to hear some opinions on it. I am
loathe to add in some command line options for a release and then
have to take them out again in a future version.

On 23 Mar 2006, at 16:01, Ton Voon wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Wanted some opinions about a bug raised by Sebastian Wiesinger at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=1292404&group_id=29880&atid=397597. He is
> complaining that he can't specify a newline when sending data for
> check_tcp. His suggestion is to escape various characters (\n, \r,
> \t), so then you can precisely define what to send.
>
> I applied a patch yesterday suggested by John Rouillard (https://
> sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=1346104&group_id=29880&atid=397599) where there are
> some new options to specify what goes at the end of a the send and
> quit strings. However, his patch makes for some very complicated
> command options, such as:
>
>   check_tcp -ln -s send -lb -q quit -H localhost -p 3333
>
> so send="send\n" and quit="quit\r\n".
>
> I prefer Sebastian's escaping characters idea, but it would mean
> that backwards compatibility would be broken since current commands
> with -s send would mean send="send" with this hypothetical patch.
>
> Any opinions?

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725