[Nagiosplug-devel] new version of check_ntp.c, new default check_ntp plugin

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon May 1 15:14:03 CEST 2006

hey folks,

just fyi, after the latest commit i've done the incredibly heavy-handed
act of making the check_ntp.c the default ntp-checking plugin.  there
may be some bugs lurking in the code, but i feel pretty good about
it overall and so i think it's high time to get it some real testing.
specifically, if you have a 64bit and/or big-endian machine, i'd like
to hear of confirmations/bugs regarding the plugin.  also, i suspect
that there may be platforms that don't implement poll(), which is used
to greatly speed up the querying process (it's really fast, faster
than the perl plugin on my machines).  if so, we'll probably need to
make some kind of wrapper voodoo select(), which i think should be
pretty much everywhere.

i've also been in contact with a few of the peeps from the ntp-hackers
list, who have helped find the flaw in my offset calculation as
well as offered to give the plugin some testing on the nagios
system that they use to monitor the ntp project machines :)

so, let me know what you think.  also, if this is too big/quick
of an unannounced change, let it be known that you think so!

i've also set up the configure script to automatically build
check_apt if appropriate, so give that a spin too if you're
interested!

and finally, barring any further tweaks on the ntp/apt plugin based
on feedback/bugs, i'll be easing off the gas a bit in the next few
weeks as i have a bit of a backlog of work in other areas and
will be attending debconf in mid-may.

	sean