[Nagiosplug-devel] new version of check_ntp.c, new default check_ntp plugin

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue May 2 01:21:08 CEST 2006

On 1 May 2006, at 23:13, sean finney wrote:

> hey folks,
>
> just fyi, after the latest commit i've done the incredibly heavy-
> handed
> act of making the check_ntp.c the default ntp-checking plugin.  there
> may be some bugs lurking in the code, but i feel pretty good about
> it overall and so i think it's high time to get it some real testing.
> specifically, if you have a 64bit and/or big-endian machine, i'd like
> to hear of confirmations/bugs regarding the plugin.  also, i suspect
> that there may be platforms that don't implement poll(), which is used
> to greatly speed up the querying process (it's really fast, faster
> than the perl plugin on my machines).  if so, we'll probably need to
> make some kind of wrapper voodoo select(), which i think should be
> pretty much everywhere.

Sean,

Thanks very much for your work on this. I'll add some basic tests for
check_ntp.

I seem to recall something about poll() that can be implemented using
select() calls instead, but we can wait for someone to shout...

> i've also been in contact with a few of the peeps from the ntp-hackers
> list, who have helped find the flaw in my offset calculation as
> well as offered to give the plugin some testing on the nagios
> system that they use to monitor the ntp project machines :)

Excellent!

> so, let me know what you think.  also, if this is too big/quick
> of an unannounced change, let it be known that you think so!

I think given the problems raised with the perl version, I think this
will be okay. I'll update the CHANGES file - could you remember to
update this with major changes too?

> i've also set up the configure script to automatically build
> check_apt if appropriate, so give that a spin too if you're
> interested!

Cheers for this too. If I have a system to run this on, I'll add some
tests here too.

Good work!

Ton

http://www.altinity.com