[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: check_disk trying to be clever re: mountpoints

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu May 18 09:04:02 CEST 2006

hi ton, john,

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:42:16AM -0400, John P. Rouillard wrote:
> >It seems to me that the problem is in the walk_name_list function,
> >where it is trying to be clever about which filesystems actually
> >needs to be checked. This is to support "check_disk -p /etc" so that
> >this returns data for /.
>
> I claim this is wrong. I also think it worked differently in 1.4.2.  I
> have it checking for a mount point /backup where our backups are done
> to a disk. We have a couple of USB disks we swap around for use, so the
> device name may not be constant, but the mount point is.

iirc, the original functionality was to walk up to a mountpoint.  i
think this memory is strongly backed by the fact that check_disk used
to solely rely on df, which also has this behaviour.

i think what happened was at some point (1.4.2 maybe?), this behaviour
disappeared.  i recieved a couple bugs about it in the debian BTS, so
i added a patch that the restores the functionality, if my memory
servers me correctly.

>   1) Make the default force the directories to be mount points and
>      exit critical if they aren't. Add a flag to allow the current
>      behavior. (My preferred option)
>
>   2) Make the current operation the default and add a flag that forces
>      the specified directory to me a mount point and exit critical if it
>      isn't.

i think either of these would be a good solution to the problem. i'm
more partial to (2) because it's more in line with how i remember
check_disk historically working.

	sean