[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: check_disk trying to be clever re: mountpoints

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Thu May 18 15:11:03 CEST 2006

On 18 May 2006, at 17:03, sean finney wrote:

> i think what happened was at some point (1.4.2 maybe?), this behaviour
> disappeared.  i recieved a couple bugs about it in the debian BTS, so
> i added a patch that the restores the functionality, if my memory
> servers me correctly.

John has come down on "this behaviour is wrong" with a good example
of why, which I am swaying towards. Sean, is there a good counter-
example for when this behaviour is desirable?

>>   1) Make the default force the directories to be mount points and
>>      exit critical if they aren't. Add a flag to allow the current
>>      behavior. (My preferred option)
>>
>>   2) Make the current operation the default and add a flag that
>> forces
>>      the specified directory to me a mount point and exit critical
>> if it
>>      isn't.
>
> i think either of these would be a good solution to the problem. i'm
> more partial to (2) because it's more in line with how i remember
> check_disk historically working.

I'm more inclined to go with (1) because of John's failure case, but
I'd rather get rid of the walk filesystem altogether :)