[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: check_disk trying to be clever re: mountpoints

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 19 01:16:05 CEST 2006

Ton Voon wrote:

> On 18 May 2006, at 17:03, sean finney wrote:
>
>> i think what happened was at some point (1.4.2 maybe?), this behaviour
>> disappeared.  i recieved a couple bugs about it in the debian BTS, so
>> i added a patch that the restores the functionality, if my memory
>> servers me correctly.
>

> John has come down on "this behaviour is wrong" with a good example  of
> why, which I am swaying towards. Sean, is there a good counter- example
> for when this behaviour is desirable?
>

>>>   1) Make the default force the directories to be mount points and
>>>      exit critical if they aren't. Add a flag to allow the current
>>>      behavior. (My preferred option)
>>>
>>>   2) Make the current operation the default and add a flag that  forces
>>>      the specified directory to me a mount point and exit critical
>>> if it
>>>      isn't.
>>

>> i think either of these would be a good solution to the problem. i'm
>> more partial to (2) because it's more in line with how i remember
>> check_disk historically working.
>

> I'm more inclined to go with (1) because of John's failure case, but
> I'd rather get rid of the walk filesystem altogether :)

I vote 2 as well. There's no sane reason to name a file or directory
that's inside a mount-point rather than actually naming the mount-point
itself, and mount-points can reside on other mounted filesystems which
just begs to break if we find multiple mount-points while walking to it
from the root (which is also a mount-point, btw).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se