[Nagiosplug-devel] Flight 1.4.8, ready for boarding

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Apr 2 11:27:36 CEST 2007

On 30 Mar 2007, at 23:42, Anthony Montibello wrote:

> I would like to submit check_nc_net.c to the plugins,
> I was working on it this week and finally have it to a good enough
> point.
> Whats the procedure/best way to submit this,
>
> check_nc_net is the check_nt used for NC_Net with all the extended
> commands and enhancements I added.

What do other think about this?

I wasn't entirely convinced when check_nt was added into the
distribution, and similarly I'm not sure why check_nc_net should be
added either. We don't include check_nrpe as part of the
distribution, though we do include check_by_ssh, which is an "agent"
type plugin.

I think I'm worried that the client code needs to be kept in sync
with the server code, so should be kept together. It doesn't help
anyone if Nagios Plugins distributes old code.

I'd be more comfortable if there was an RFC or some other published
location that detailed what the comms between the client and server
are. At least this says that there is some fixed standard, so then we
can say that the one distributed by us is conforming to a particular
version.

That's probably the difference between check_by_ssh and check_nrpe/
check_nt/check_nc_net - the interface for the agent communication is
standardised.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243