[Nagiosplug-devel] Feature Request: Check_cluster2

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Apr 12 11:22:38 CEST 2007

On 12 Apr 2007, at 06:14, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> On 11/04/07 05:36 AM, Matthias Eble wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>>> I'm not sure what you're trying there, and not even sure how this
>>> plugin
>>> was intented to be used... Could be of great use for Nagios3
>>> because you
>>> can get the status codes of other host/services as macros, but
>>> how are
>>> you supposed to use it otherwise?
>>
>> status codes of other services are already available in Nagios 2.x
>> They
>> are called "On Demand Macros" in the docs.
>>

>> The problem with the OK States is caused by check_cluster2's lack of
>> range thresholds (like eg check_procs has). Maybe he wants to
>> alert on
>> split brain scenarios when a service is up on multiple nodes..
>
> I'm getting it now... It would be easy to add -W and -C that would:
> "Specifies the maximum number of hosts or services in cluster that can
> be in a OK state before returning a WARNING/CRITICAL status level".
>
> I'll do it only if we agree to include it in the main distribution.
> Shall we keep the name "check_cluster2"? I think the "2" may
> confuse new
> users, though renaming it to "check_cluster" would confuse old users.
> Damn ;)

Yes, I agree that it should be in the main distribution. Thomas,
Matthias, please co-ordinate between yourselves who'll add it in.

I agree also that the name with a "2" is confusing. We can either go
with
   - check_cluster, with a clear statement in NEWS that this works
differently from the previous check_cluster in contrib
   - a new name (check_cluster_states ? check_states?)

I would like some good tests for this plugin too, which should be
fairly easy to do as there is no external "thing" that needs to
return data.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243