[Nagiosplug-devel] Integrating Nagios::Plugin into the distribution

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Apr 23 23:47:48 CEST 2007

On 23 Apr 2007, at 21:40, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

>> 2. Install N::P (and other dependent perl modules) in a
>> (./configure chosen) location.
>
> My personal preference is #2, though we may need to rename it
> slightly to
> avoid Perl complaining (AFAIK Perl complains when you have a lib
> with the
> same name in more than one INC path).

Not true. You can have multiple versions of a perl module in @INC,
but the first one will be used (like PATH). If you 'use lib "/path/to/
mods"', this is put at the front of @INC.

I think tweaking the name would cause more problems.

> The reason of this preference is that we can properly test all Perl
> plugins
> with the released version so that we'll avoid bug reports due to
> newer/older
> N::P libs and also avoid having to ask which version of N::P users
> have when
> they report bugs. IMO this will save us a lot of time in the long
> run. It is
> also simpler for the user to just "make install" (which should
> install the
> lib locally) and get everything in place and will avoid possible
> breakages
> on distro upgrades (i.e. if Perl libdir change).

Agreed that there is an additional question to ask at support time.
You can specify a minimum version of a module via perl ("use
Nagios::Plugin 0.15;"), which should help with older versions (but
won't help with newer versions that break compatibility - hopefully
not very often).

Consider the C case - we may check for a minimum version of a library
and complain if it is too low - I'd guess we'd do something similar
with N::P at configure as well as runtime.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725