[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Plugins config file (final proposal)

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Fri Feb 16 08:07:43 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 00:24 +0100, Matthias Eble wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > What about using an environment variable if set. Otherwise look in a
> > set of "common" locations. Given that we use the same prefix as
> > nagios (/usr/local/nagios), maybe /usr/local/nagios/etc/plugins.ini
> > is a decent default. I guess other common locations are:
> >   /etc/plugins.ini
> >   /etc/nagios/plugins.ini
> >   /usr/local/etc/nagios/plugins.ini
> >   /usr/local/etc/plugins.ini
>
> perhaps the FHS way should be considered, too:
> /etc/opt/(nagiosplug|nagios-plugins)/plugins.ini

i would say that both the plugins and Nagios::Plugin should have
a single default location, which equates to the same config root
where the rest of the files would go in a default "make install",
with a sensible filename.

as long as both of the above provide a way to override this setting
(i.e. by setting passing some cmdline option when building/installing
or having the location in an easily patchable location), i don't see
there being any problem.  plus, one will always be able to override
it at runtime too.

	sean